Going to College

We would recommend you look at colleges and other options at least a year before you or the young person leaves school. Be aware that funding can be difficult to obtain, particularly for residential courses.

Colleges have now been brought within the remit of legislation relating to special educational needs and disabilities. They must do their best to ensure that students’ needs are met and must plan and deliver appropriate support. If your son or daughter currently has a statement in school, a ‘transfer review’ to an Education, Health and Care Plan will take place before they leave school and go to college or other training.

If you have any questions about Special Educational Needs and Disability Code of Practice visit Swindon Advocacy.

Leaving College

It is important to plan at least a year ahead for your son or daughter leaving college. At this stage you should also ask for a review of your son’s or daughter’s care plan, as leaving college will be a major change of circumstances. This is also a good time for parents and young people to think about independant living.

Swindon Down's Syndrome Group